- Expected formation: 4-4-1-1
- Expected line-up: Elliot; Manquillo (Likely rotating with Yedlin when Yedlin returns from injury), Lascelles, Lejeune, Dummett; Atsu, Shelvey, Colback, Ritchie; Gayle, Mitrovic
- Penalties: Ritchie, Gayle, Mitrovic
- Direct free kicks: Ritchie, Shelvey, Gayle, Atsu
- Indirect free kicks and corners: Shelvey, Ritchie
- Opening fixtures: TOT (H), Hud (A), WHU (H), Swa (A), STO (H), Bha (A), LIV (H), Sou (A), CRY (H) Bur, (A)
I have previously covered Newcastle United for @FPLHints at his website https://fantasypremierleaguehints.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/newcastle-united-2017-18-FPL-preview.html
When I wrote that article, Anita was still at the club, but he has now left and since then Newcastle have signed Manquillo (£4.5m). In my article for Chief I tout Yedlin (£4.5m) as a good prospect (which I still believe he is once back from injury and if he were to get a decent run of games), but now Manquillo has signed, I expect there to be rotation between the two once Yedlin is fit again, much like how Yedlin was rotated with Anita last year, perhaps using Yedlin for the games in which Benítez feels he can get some attacking joy, as Yedlin has defensive frailties.
With regards to the keeper situation, it looks like Elliot (£4.0m) is currently number 1 with Darlow being transfer listed and Krul not having a sniff in pre-season. That being said, Rafa is still in the market for a new keeper so keep an eye on that, but for now at least, Elliot is looking a good option considering Newcastle’s fixtures and his price.
As I mention in the article, it doesn’t appear that Rafa knows his best pairing in the CF and ST positions – pre-season has been one mixed bag with regard to this and as I point out from looking into it last season, he used a variety of combinations between Perez/Mitrovic/Diame/Murphy and Gayle. Now we have De Jong added to all that – headache.
I still think Gayle will get the majority of the games as he did last season, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Rafa make use of all those options he has for the attack, which means rotation, something we should be at least wary of.